We had worked for this client two years previous with a complete overhaul of the back garden.
On the first site survey of the project in Terenure, Dublin, the aspect was South facing. The front was surrounded by old 1.2M high walls, with no feeling of enclosure. The existing pillars were nice and wide. The driveway was made up of 50% concrete slab, 50% grass lawn with a large Cherry stump. The stump was too big for our digger and would need to be ground out with a stump grinder. There was an existing gully approx. 1M in front of the house. The front door was nicely placed to the side with a wheelchair ramp and rail leading to the front door. The overall feeling was stark and industrial.
On sitting down with the client we came up with the following brief:
- Room for two cars
- Low maintenance garden
- Wheelie bin screen
- Soften surrounding walls
- Soften front of the house with complimentary planting
- Seating area outside the front door, use planting to create room effect here
- Silver granite slab surface like job noticed in Shankill
- Solve & eradicate the flooding problem
- Budget of no more than 20K
The design I produced was simple, yet functional. It was presented to the client along with the quote (Which came well within budget). Zero changes were required as the client was happy with the layout & wishlist incorporated. We received a 20% deposit, and pencilled the client in, for the go ahead, within the following 2 months.
The garden design, and thought behind it, can be described as follows:
The surface would be made up mostly of 600x300x30mm brush hammered silver granite slabs and partly of 14mm Ballylusk gravel. The silver of the granite would match perfectly with the white windows & walls of the house. The beds would be enhanced using 600x150mm slips of granite laid vertically against the horizontal driveway surface to a height of 50mm, the other edging would be made up of 200x100x100mm tumbled silver granite to a height of 75mm. Both materials, because they were raised would create definition, compartmentalisation and interest within the space.
A raised seating area would be created/situated outside the front door with enough space for a small table and chairs. The surrounding walls would be softened using Portuguese Laurels, the wheelie bin screen would be created using the same and the raised seating area surrounded, by the same.
The gravel area would feature 3 large specimen Box balls.
A bed would be created along the front of the house planted with three tall Privet lollipops, visible from inside the house with Box hedging below & Alliums planted behind. Finally, an ACO drain would be installed parallel with the front of the house to remove any excess water runoff leading to the existing drain, eradicating past flooding problems.
Work carried out to complete the job included:
- Remove existing ramp and cart to dump
- Remove concrete back 1.5m by the entrance to gain levels
- Remove existing stump
- Remove lawn to a depth of 100mm and cart to dump
- Supply, spread and compact 75mm layer of Ballylusk dust
- Create bed by house by removing rubble to a depth of 40cm and replacing it with topsoil
- Supply and install drain channel using Aco drainage system to remove excess water run off
- Supply and install a driveway, area for wheelie bins and raised seating area using 600x300x30mm brush hammered silver granite slabs and 1000x200x100 granite kerbs (67.5Msq)
- Supply and create 75mm high verge to beds using 200x100x100mm tumbled silver granite cobbles (32.5Lm)
- Supply and create 50mm high verge to beds using 600x150x30mm granite slips (15.5Lm)
- Supply spread and compact 25mm layer of 14mm Ballylusk gravel
- Planting including Portuguese Laurels and Buxus balls
- Remove all rubbish and cart to dump
The client was very satisfied with the job as we came in under budget and within the time specified. The client posted the following on Google Reviews:
“We’ve used Kevin’s company twice in the last 5 years and, on both occasions, have been bowled over with the results. Through his imagination and design, Kevin changed our back garden from a dark and unused space to a beautiful, functional and family-friendly one. Kevin’s second project for us was to redesign our driveway and, despite appalling weather conditions, this was completed on time and to standards far beyond our expectations. In fact, we are constantly asked by neighbours and passers-by for Kevin’s contact details. I’m absolutely delighted with the work that has been done for us. The prices are competitive and he has always delivered to the original budget so no hidden extras. Overall the results have been outstanding and we’d highly recommend Kevin to anybody”.
If you require an Award-Winning Landscaping Designer/Contractor to complete your dream space, contact Kevin Baumann on 086 8198444.